May 3, 2011

The War on Terror

Unlike many Americans, I had no interest in dancing in the streets upon the news of Osama bin Laden's death. While I certainly understood why people took to the streets with chants of "U.S.A, U.S.A." while waving the flag, the feeling that came to me wasn't jubilation, but fear.

People certainly have the right to celebrate the death of bin Laden; he was the mastermind behind the most heinous act of domestic terrorism our country has ever suffered. With the death of bin Laden comes a certain degree of closure for millions of people, especially the families of the victims. It also satisfies our most basic emotion of revenge.

Don't get me wrong, I love the move. Obama made the right call to send the SEAL team in, and their execution was apparently flawless. If there has ever been anyone who deserved to be killed, it's bin Laden. For me, the concern immediately flipped to "what does this mean for the future?".

These Muslim extremists don't think the way you and I do. They're labeled "extremists" because their minds don't function in a rational manner. They have an entirely different set of rules to play by, rules that are dictated by their culture and their religion. They're bound by and dedicated to the utter obliteration of those who don't think they way they do. Jihadists are our modern day Hitler. The problem is that this isn't a conventional war fought on the shores of Europe; this a war fought on multiple front across every continent. Therein lies my concern.

Bin Laden apparently left behind what's being called a "doomsday tape" to be released by his disciples in the event oh his death calling for a do-or-die jihad against the West. With their messiah gone, the backlash from al-Qaida could reignite the flames of hatred towards the United State and our allies. I hope I'm wrong.
Nonetheless, it's as important now as ever that our country maintain and enhance our anti-terrorism efforts.

Meanwhile, I will try to share in the jubilation of the moment, always cognizant of the fact that the war on terror will continue on as long as those who hate America continue to roam the planet - in other words, forever.

No comments: