June 9, 2010

Life Lessons

As I've gotten older, I've found that there are life lessons to be found at virtually every turn. Take, for instance, my trip to Wegman's yesterday. Standing in line to pay for the sub that I had ordered, I got a lesson in just how fucked up this state is. Who'd have thought that Wegman's could be so educational.

Now, if you've ever ordered a sub from Wegman's you know that there is a single line with a single register to ring customers out. Having gathered up my delicious lunch-in-waiting, I proceeded to the register where I encountered a woman taking an incessant amount of time to get the hell out of the way.

She had a huge tray of subs. She had ice cream. She had ice. She had four bottles of hot sauce. She pre-cut fruit. In fact, through my superb powers of observation, I ascertained that the lady who clearly violated the maximum limit of items to be brought through the sub line was going to a party. I'm good like that.

After waiting for 10 minutes to get to the front of the line, the lady in question was ready to finalize her purchase. Lo and behold, she whipped out her card, swiped it through the machine and consummated the purchase of her cart full of goodies. None of this do I really care about, except one part: that card she swiped for her purchase was a Benefits Card. In case you don't know what that is, it's the electronic card that the state gives to welfare recipients to pay for food.

So here's me, the schlep that I am, taking a few minutes out of my 10 hour work day to run to Wegman's so I can scarf down a sub before I return to work, but this piece of shit gets to buy the makings of what was surely a nice, little shindig, in the middle of the work day, on our dime. What the hell is wrong with this picture? And how does the state of New York allow this to continue?

Look....there are people in this state who legitimately need assistance, and I'm okay with that. But it's people like this piece of shit, people who abuse the system, that make the blood of people like me boil. And where is the pride of these people? Where is the desire to be a productive member of society? Unfortunately, I fear that it has been replaced by a multi-generational dependence on "the man" to take care of them, coupled with their warped sense of entitlement; a sense of entitlement that is fed by a state government dominated by New York City politicians that must enact such policies to placate their constituencies. And that is where the problem lies.

As long as people like Assembly Leader Sheldon Silver exist, and as long as people like Francine DelMonte continue to elect people like Silver to lead their caucus, as she has done for years, upstate New York is screwed. What it will take for people who live north of the Tappan Zee Bridge to realize this, I have no idea. I guess we'll see how pissed off people are come November.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Cant tell you how many times I myself have been stuck behind people buying sub trays, carryout pizzas and such using their Benefit card. I guess Im naive, I always assumed it was only able to be used for staples... bread, milk, meat, cheese... not fully prepared ready to go take out.

Concerned said...

As far as I know, these prepared foods are not allowed on benefit card purchases. I can understand your frustration. It would be better if you didn't call her a p.o.s. but I can see why you are angry. The card if it is a benefit card should have automatically rejeted any unothorized items, which would have to have the diffence paid in cash. You can't assume the entire amount went on the card. I have a friend who works at Top's expain that to me. I questioned it when I saw beer and toilet paper which were not covered.

rob clark said...

Hobbes.....I had this same situation just happend to me at Tops on Military Rd. acouple of days ago. WTF.....I went off on the items the woman had purchased. TYo make matters worse ahe was in the 15 items or less lane. I made a comment to her about what she had and it got ugly. Everyone in line felt the same way I did!

To make matters worse I watched her load her prize meal into an alomst brand new Ford Explorer. I cant afford that or the supplies she had gotten.

I LOVE NY !!!!!!!!