May 18, 2009

Brown & T.O. - A Match Made In Heaven

In one of the most moronic displays of political showmanship ever seen, Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown is slated to give new Buffalo Bills wide receiver Terrell Owens the Key to the City today. Why? The guy hasn't spent a single day in the city, probably ever.

I like T.O. I've had him on my fantasy team a few times, and he's an entertaining figure. He's also 35 years-old and has been at or near the top of the league in the number of dropped passes for years. Anyone under the delusion that he signed here because he wanted to needs a reality check. He needed a job and the Bills needed something to stimulate some interest in a team that currently has the longest streak in the NFL of not making the playoffs. If you're expecting 1,300 yards and 12 TDs, you're in for a rude awakening.

He's also proven to be one of the most divisive forces in NFL locker rooms in the past 10 years. His resume in San Fran, Philly and now Dallas speak for themselves.

But I digress, this isn't about T.O., it's about Brown trying to score a public relations touchdown by giving T.O. the key. So, why Owens? What the hell has this guy done to deserve this? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of people in or from Buffalo that would be so much more worthy of this honor than Owens.

Do I want Owens to be a big hit in Buffalo? The answer is two-fold: Frankly I don't care, because Bills fans are among the biggest idiots I've ever encountered, but, I do want Owens to do well because I think the region could use some good news, and something to make people feel good about themselves.

But giving the key to the city when there are so many more deserving people from this community is just insulting to those people who've done so much. How the hell Brown doesn't see that is beyond me.

No comments: