February 24, 2009

Self-Expression

I've never been much of a joiner, especially as a kid. I liked to do my own thing, and while we all have some desire to be popular, or at least accepted, I think our society puts way too much pressure on people to "belong".

Being on Facebook, I get an invitation to join some group virtually every day. I rarely accept those invitations, mainly because I don't want to be labeled as "being this" or "supporting that". But yesterday, I saw that a couple of my friends had joined a group called "Petition to get the group 'Soldiers Are Not Heroes' off of Facebook". I thought to myself, "that's an excellent group to join".

Then I thought about it. What this group is advocating violates the very fabric of what those soldiers are fighting for. These brave men and women have taken an oath to uphold the freedoms of this country. They've vowed to uphold our rights as provided in the Constitution, a document that allows groups like "Soldiers are not heroes" to exist.

Do I agree with the premise of the group "soldiers are not heroes"? Absolutely not. Do I agree with their right to exist in this country? Absolutely, and that freedom, the freedom for moronic self-expression, is what makes this country the greatest country on the face of the earth.

Ask a soldier; I think he'd agree.

No comments: