October 7, 2008

Who Is "They"

I don't really mean to nitpick, but I'm going to anyway because it's not the first time that I've seen this individual make the same reference.

In today's Lockport newspaper, there is a story about the county bonding several million dollars to cover various aspects of the county's 2008 capital plan. The plan has been on and off the table as lawmakers seek to tweak what should and should not be in the 20 year borrowing plan.

What is disconcerting is the quote from Niagara Falls Legislator Dennis Virtuoso. Nearly satisfied with the changes made to the plan, Virtuoso stated, "“I’m glad to see they are doing it that way. If they are going to bond, at least do it right.” Ummmm, who is the "they" you are referring to, Dennis? Let me answer that one fer ya (as Sarah Palin would say). They, Dennis, is you. It's not me, it's not the department heads, it's not the bumbling idiot of a county manager, it's you.

To say that if they are going to bond, they should get it right is once again Virtuoso attempting to cover his own ass. He's done it for years and he does it very well. Amazingly, people seem to buy it. I saw him on that show that used to be on LCTV, the one with that goofy guy with the bad hair, and a caller was railing about taxes. Virtuoso went on about "them", obviously the majority, and the caller was buying it. I guess substance doesn't matter when you have a pretty smile and taxpayer paid for hair. But I digress.

If you're a county legislator, you're always a county legislator. You can't pick and choose when you want to be a county legislator. You're a county legislator when good things happen, and you're a county legislator when bad things happen. Virtuoso is definitely a guy I would never want to be in a fox hole with, because he is nothing but a coward looking to save his own ass over and over, even at the expense of those in his own caucus.

No comments: