In response to Governor Paterson’s action to preserve the power of Buffalo’s control board, the president of the Buffalo Teachers’ Federation, Phil Rumore, vowed to target any elected state official who does not vote to veto Governor Paterson.
Paterson’s argument is that local municipalities may feel some budget pressure and could use the assistance of a hard control board to help control spiraling labor costs.
We may feel some budget pressure? My school taxes have been crushing me for as long as I have owned my home. They represent our single largest source of property taxes and they are comprised primarily of compensation to the people Phil Rumore represents, who pay his salary with money earned from the taxpayers, the very people that he seems to hold in disdain.
So rather than spend the next several paragraphs criticizing Rumore and his juvenile tactics, I decided to present the top five comments that I have NEVER heard uttered by him:
5) We will work with our local officials to solve this budget crisis.
4) We will allow the city some flexibility with the manner in which it provides our benefits to save the taxpayers money, and we will ask for nothing in return.
3) We will do whatever it takes to help the community, even if it means concessions or a reduction in our lifetime health insurance benefits.
2) If longer school days will help the kids, then absolutely.
And the number one comment never uttered by Phil Rumore....
1) Eliminating MY job would save money and make sense.
Have a great weekend.