A state appeals court on Tuesday upheld a jury's verdict that the Port Authority was chiefly to blame for the 1993 terrorist bombing at the twin towers.
In a blistering decision, a five-judge panel unanimously agreed with a Manhattan judge who last year refused to throw out the jury's 2005 verdict. The jury found the PA ignored years of warnings that the towers were a "prime" terrorist target.
"The jury got it right, the judge got it right, and the appeals court got it right," said David Dean, a lawyer who represented the victims of the attack at trial. "And the Port Authority got it all wrong."
Six people were killed in the February 1993 attack, when terrorists loaded a rented Ryder van with explosives, parked it in an underground garage and took off after lighting a 10-minute fuse. The blast, which packed the power of 1,500 pounds of dynamite, blew a crater six stories deep.
The jury found the PA was liable for 68% of the attack, with the rest being pinned on the terrorists. The PA had faced more than 500 lawsuits, though most have been settled. "We've resolved all but a few dozen of the remaining cases ... and look forward to resolving those, as well," spokesman Steve Coleman said.