I don't know why the idea of Baby Joe Mesi running for State Senate intrigues me, but for some reason it does. And I don't necessarily have one clear thought on it, just some gut shot reactions:
1) Does this mean he is giving up on being Heavyweight Champion of the World? I always wanted to see him get a shot at the belt.
2) It's a shame that people who are famous for a host of reasons suddenly head to the front of the line for public office just because they have some name ID. It reminds of Law and Order's Fred Thompson, who had a pretty lackluster career in the Senate, suddenly being the frontrunner for president. Once the hoopla died down so too did his chances.
3) Similar to the point above, once someone with a little juice jumps into the political arena, they quickly lose that little spark they had....they become just another candidate. This is especially true in long elections. Gov. Arnold was able to win in a highly unusual recall election that happened so fast he never really got bloodied. Baby Joe is in for one long fight for the Senate.
4) Who knew Baby Joe had ties to former Democrat Chairman Steve Pigeon? Mr. Pigeon really is quite the behind-the-scences force in local, state and national politics.
5) Does anyone know where Baby Joe stands on any issues at all?
6) Given the continued changing demographics in this state that make it more and more Democrat each day, I wonder if famous people like Baby Joe will automatically be Democrats when they choose to run because it's much easier to win that way.
7) WNY is home to some top notch legislators on both sides of the aisle who view the job as a 24/7 affair and are really committed to getting things done...Senator Maziarz and Congressman Higgins come immediately to mind. Does anyone really believe Baby Joe will have this type of dedication?
8) What Senator would want to go toe to toe with Baby Joe in a heated debate knowing that Joe could kick his butt out behind the Capitol afterward? (OK, I know it wouldn't happen, but it makes me laugh.)
9) Will he really run knowing he has to disclose his finances?
10) If he is serious about this, should we assume he never fully recovered from his injuries?