December 17, 2007

Pigs at the Trough

I would be willing to listen to an argument that county legislators are underpaid. They make, what $15K a year for a job that comes with a lot of responsibility and a lot more grief. So maybe, just maybe, I'd listen to bumping the salary a bit.

But don't try to tell me that they deserve lifetime health benefits paid for by my tax dollars, long after they have left office, if they serve for 20 years. Yet Renae Kimble has submitted a resolution to do just that. What an outrage.

The legislature made a bold move to end this practice in a vote earlier this year...let's see if they have the gumption to stick with it. I know some of the geezers are clamoring to restore this benny, but the young legislators are loathe to face voters again with this on their voting record.

So, to all my fellow taxpayers, get out your scorecard and let's keep track of who is a pig at the trough when this vote to give legislators lifetime health benefits comes up soon. Democrat or Republican, let's vow that whomever votes for this does not get our vote when election day comes around.

8 comments:

Pete M said...

I'm not sure about raising the pay of the legislature, I guess it's worth taking a look at - $15k is pretty low. But putting the lifetime health insurance benefit back in is a slap in the face to those of us in the private sector who either don't even have health insurance, or must pay for it.

I think that benefit was eliminated in 2004, because I remember former legislator Aronow saying on the radio that the elimination of that benefit will save the county hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, over time.

And Kimble wants to bring it back? She's a disgrace. Of course, most of her constituency gets taxpayer subsidized health insurance, so I'm sure she doesn't see anything wrong with it.

Solomon Grundy said...

I agree. Somehow this all seems about helping out Sean O'Connor and some of the old-timers on both sides of the aisle.

If these guys had to earn an honest paycheck, then maybe they'd realize how outrageous this is.

Anonymous said...

It's not a slap in the face of the taxpayers, it's a kick in the nuts. I'll personally donate to the opponent of anyone who supports this.

Fed Up in da Falls said...

C'mon, it's not about feathering your own nest, it's about public service. The lifetime insurance has nothing to do with it.

The rocket said...

I'm aghast that this would actually be considered. If this were put up by a member of the Majority Caucus, all the media, including Leffler, would be hammering this 24x7.

Anonymous said...

Leffler's ripping you right now, Glen.

Larry S said...

I heard Leffler's show today. It seems that without this blog, he wouldn't have a show. The entire show was dedicated to discussing the topics that SA has initiated over the past two days.

Way to go, Leff, you're yet to come up with an original idea on your own.

Anonymous said...

He definately got the Kimble thing from us. But I'm pretty sure he's been talking about Restaino for a while.